I still spent a lot of time in the library to look for books, and I've scanned the shelves several times in search of a good book to read. It's fun browsing through all of the books that catch my eye but it can get a bit tiring after a while, especially after spending a good half hour reading the inside flap of all the books I went through. I browse for books quite a bit online now, especially on the website for Barnes and Noble. There's a section where one can browse for books that are related by subject or theme to the book that the person is currently looking at online. I'm always curious as to what other books there are and I end up spending more time than I plan to going through other books and reading the customer reviews.
I also stalk the blogs of a few authors (especially Patrick Rothfuss, author of The Name of the Wind)because I'm eager to find out when their next book comes out, and their progress on it. On one of the blogs the author listed columns and columns of books that he thought highly of, and I am still in the process of going through them.
I started to Rp (role-play) in 7th grade when a friend of mine showed me a site she had made. On these sites, people create characters and fill out a biography including the character's history and personality. These characters interact with other characters of people even in different time zones. This is done by posting in different topics. In the end, all of the posts made by the members tie in with the underlying plot of the site, and when read chronologically, the entire site is actually a story created by many different people.
Other than improving my typing skills, I feel that Rp-ing has helped me write creatively, and improve my overall literacy. When I looked back at when I first started to role-play, I could see how much my writing had improved since then.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

RP'ing, in my opinon, is a very good way to learn how to add depth and write good characters. I'm also glad because you're the only person I know (besides me) who roleplays online, haha! :D
ReplyDeleteInteresting way to learn how to write, now when do you expect to be on the NY Times bestseller list.
ReplyDeleteThe frustrating thing with RPing is people always think you are talking about Dungeons and Dragons or something rather than a collective story and writing experience.
ReplyDeleteI agree on the website part- although it hinders my monetary flow somewhat always having more interesting books to want to buy. :)