Thursday, May 27, 2010

Daughter of the Forest

My dad had kept stacks of books in the guest room, and after going through them one day, I came across an interesting book called Son of the Shadows by Juliet Marillier.
I know that people shouldn't judge the book by it's cover, but the cover of this particular book caught my eye, especially because it was actually intact and less musty looking than the others.
This novel was the second in her Sevenwaters Trilogy. I really enjoyed the book, and decided to buy the first of the trilogy.

Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier is a fantasy novel based off of the story The Six Swans of the girl who must sew six shirts from starwort(a plant that is extremely painful to touch) in order to save her six brothers who had been turned into swans by an enchantress.

I had read The Six Swans years ago; it was an illustrated children's book. I can still remember the illustrations. I only read it a couple of times, and when I picked up Daughter of the Forest, I was surprised at how well I remembered the original version of the story.

Marillier is a wonderful writer, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading her tweaked version of the story. Once I started the trilogy, I would stay up into the wee hours of the morning reading under an annoyingly dim lamp, and then pick up where I left off in the morning and then remember to eat later.

The main characters of the trilogy were all linked so that even though each book had a different plot, it was all really one connected story.
Though I've only read three of her books, I look forward to reading more of her work.

3 comments:

  1. I think, despite the common phrase "don't judge a book by its cover" is , well, common, the first impression of a book is important. Of course, that's true about everything, not just books. Are you thinking about reading any other tweaked and modernized fairy tales?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The comment about reading by a dimly lit lamp reminds me of how I used to bring my computer to bed with me so I could use the light from its screen to read by. I think that reading in such conditions is far more fun than reading in more... normal conditions, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of modernized fairy tales.... love it.

    ReplyDelete