I noticed a while ago that after finishing a book, I would feel irritated and moody for the remainder of the day (or night). I distinctly remember feeling immensely cranky after completing Christopher Paolini's Eldest sometime in the afternoon. I personally felt that the book that came before that one was more interesting, but I realized later on that as soon I would finish the last page of any good novel, I usually ended up lounging around in my room all day, doing nothing productive.
I finished reading Marillier's Heir to Sevenwaters approximately three hours ago, and I completely lost all of my inspiration to complete homework due tomorrow. Well, except for this blog.
However, reading inspires me to write, or at least generate ideas for a short story or a scene. After completing The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath after school,(I highly recommend this book) I began thinking about a scene on an empty looking road. One of the two characters in the scene tries to persuade the other to lie down in the middle of the road for a photo shoot for an art portfolio. The second character reluctantly complies but barely manages to jump up and run off the road when an unexpected car comes by. The first character only sits and laughs hysterically and... I feel like my summary sounds better in my head than it does in text.
Anxious not to forget about it, (which I often do) I hastily took out my phone and texted the idea to myself. It took a while, but I didn't forget it and I also managed to get it out onto my computer. It transformed from a scene into a sort of disorganized section/chapter of a short story that took up most of the past day and a half.
What really frustrates me about writing short stories/poetry is that no matter how many times I look it over or revise it, there's always something wrong it that I can't quite get my head around. I also leave out little bits/dialogue or scenes that I don't know how to add in, and the story or whatever it is ends up having annoying gaps.
This is turning into a rather pessimistic post.
On a happier note, I actually didn't abandon the random first chapter I typed up on Wednesday, and wrote a second! (It all needs a lot editing but I didn't trash it!)
In case you're wondering about the title, I couldn't think of one so I turned around to my bookshelf and chose the first title that I saw.
Toodles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

So true! I am always sad when I get to the end of a good book!
ReplyDeleteI think that the depression that comes from reaching the end of a book only comes if you like the book in question, because you're sad that the story has ended, and that in a way you're saying goodbye to the characters. This, at least to me, does not apply if you do not like the book; for example, when I put Going Bovine down, I didn't feel the least bit saddened... did I mention that I dislike that book?
ReplyDelete